Frequently Asked Questions

Selling - FAQ

The costs involved in selling your property consist of:

Energy Performance Certificate It is a legal requirement to have commissioned an EPC before marketing can commence. Harj Bains Estate Agents can organise this legally required report on your behalf at an additional cost.

Estate agent commission Commission fees become payable once your estate agent sells your property and contracts are signed. This is charged at a fixed fee agreed on instruction.

Legal fees for the conveyancing process These vary depending on the solicitor you choose.
Your estate agent should include all marketing expenses within their commission fee but it is worth checking this before you instruct an agent as some may charge an additional fee for advertising etc.
Your Title Deeds are proof of ownership of your property. They will be held by your bank or building society if you have a mortgage and your solicitor will obtain the deeds and let the buyer's solicitor have a copy.
It is not essential to redecorate your property before placing it on the market, however, if an area is in need of a lick of paint this will appeal to potential buyers.

Who will conduct viewings on my property and when will they occur?

Your estate agent should accompany all viewings during their opening hours. However, in some circumstances they may ask you to conduct the occasional viewing.
If your estate agent is accompanying all viewings and they have the access codes and keys for your property your presence is not required. Harj Bains Estate Agents accompany all viewings.

It is worth noting that buyers often feel more relaxed when the owner is not present.
This depends on the conditions of the offer and what your preferences are.
No, the buyer is responsible for paying stamp duty.
On the completion date, which is mutually agreed by yourself and the buyer.
If you are selling a property that is your main home, you won't have to pay tax on it as long as you satisfy certain conditions. However, if you are selling a property that is not your main home, it is likely you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax.